Hi David!

> I would like to save my settings for EDIT in such a way that they take
> effect everywhere. Seems to me, when I choose to save, it puts a file in
> the current directory, and the settings only work when launching from
> that directory. Is there a way to do this?

As far as I remember, EDIT does not have much settings to store:

So if you would introduce an environment string which points to
a global settings file, it would probably be easier to put the
actual settings in the string instead.

You could write a batch file which makes sure to always start
EDIT in the same current directory :-) With a bit of extra
trickery, you could still start "EDIT2 foo.txt", where foo.txt
is in YOUR current directory and return to that directory when
you leave EDIT, while EDIT2 (dot bat) makes sure that for EDIT
itself, the working directory is the one where you want the EDIT
settings file to reside :-) PUSHD, POPD, CD and CDD might help.

Maybe somebody with good batch skills could post a proof of
concept edit2 batch file to demonstrate the idea? Thanks!

Regards, Eric