I compiled a custom kernel on Virtualbox and after some fiddling booted it just fine in 86box's 8088 mode.

I did have problems creating/emulating a 360k floppy; even images of old dos 360k floppies had issues though -that's a 86box problem.

In another 8088 configuration, using the XTIDE controller, I was even able to have large (500 megabyte) hard disks. I'd consider that cheatingS though, personally.

I mention this because I have a vague recollection of someone on a FreeDOS list saying that it wouldn't boot on an emulated 8088. It does, at least for me.

https://gyazo.com/f54e29a5a589fa66f95f76f46788b500

For whatever that's worth...

-Random