Had anyone been successfully DOS-networking using the RT Gigabit adapter in
Subj, I will
humbly take their lessons. My new board (Biostar A68MD-Pro with AMD A10 CPU)
has embedded Realtek 8168 GB ethernet controller, for which I sought a DOS
"packet driver".

At Realtek's site, no packet driver, but they do offer an  "ODI" driver
("rtgeodi.com") : which I got, and then ran in turn the usual trilogy of TSRs:

> LSL
> RTGEODI
> ODIPKT  1    ; comment : alternatively, PKT2ODI /B:2

This "trilogy" installs "successfully" - at least, each TSR in turn while
installing itself reports success.

In conjunction with an appropriate NET.CFG... and a TCP/IP network stack such
as Trumpet's, or built-in to DOS networking programs...  it should've been a
piece of cake, in my experience, but alas !  *None work* ! Not any type
datagram seems to go in/out on the wire...

I know the adapter itself is "good" (works as designed in, sorry to have to
mention it, Windows 10).
Also, the Realtek test program in DOS sees, accesses the adapter and local
tests pass OK.

At this point I'm lost. Either the, Realtek provided ODI driver doesn't in fact
support the flavour of embedded adapter I have got, could there be a "secret
sauce" required to initialise the adapter ?

Ah ! I also tried the well known "net boot disk" (an image, run through
Gru4DOS, since this new machine - of course - doesn't have floppy).
Interestingly, /it/ didn't work either, though it identified the adapter
correctly; significant, for the net bootdisk uses another approach altogether
than what I have sketched above, namely it tries to install MS-DOS (NDIS)
networking. Didn't work either :=(

I am sure a number of people reading this letter are (much) more used to fixing
this kind of problems than I will ever be. Hoping for a heads-up (or just tell
me it won't work, so I don't lose my time and last hair on this enigma)...

TYiA

--
Czerno