I'm glad this is being cleared up a bit here. Yes, I should have made the
civil/criminal distinction. Yes, it's too expensive to be practical for
commercial companies. But still, at least in my fantasies, Stallman would
have done a big fundraiser to bring such a case to court, since he seems to
be attached to principals rather than personal enrichment.
My ex worked for the remnants of Symbolics. Ironically, when someone was
interested in buying and making the company an educational non-profit, one
new employee took it upon himself to propose Macsyma, among their other
software, be open sourced, to the "benefactor." This undermined the CEO's
pitch, though I have no clear idea what else made the negotiation fail,
except the Harvard math department got the money instead(!). But I got
hooked on linux and, at least the theory of, Open Source.