On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 2:32 PM Cuvtixo D <cuvt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm glad this is being cleared up a bit here. Yes, I should have made the
> civil/criminal distinction. Yes, it's too expensive to be practical for
> commercial companies. But still, at least in my fantasies, Stallman would
> have done a big fundraiser to bring such a case to court, since he seems to
> be attached to principals rather than personal enrichment.

He is indeed.  I don't know details, but I suspect his personal
finances place him *well* below the poverty level.  I think I
mentioned elsewhere that Stallman reminds me of a monk in the middle
ages, living in a cave somewhere and supporting himself through alms
donated by the pious so he can devote his full time and effort to his
conception of who God is and and what his God wants us to do.

I don't see Stallman as being *capable* of the sort of effort you
mention.  Among other things, I'm pretty sure he has Asperger
syndrome, and communication with other *people* is what Aspergers
impacts.  Give him a terminal and let him talk to a computer, and
things are fine.  Talking to other *people* may be another matter.

> My ex worked for the remnants of Symbolics. Ironically, when someone was
> interested in buying and making the company an educational non-profit, one
> new employee took it upon himself to propose Macsyma, among their other
> software, be open sourced, to the "benefactor." This undermined the CEO's
> pitch, though I have no clear idea what else made the negotiation fail,
> except the Harvard math department got the money instead(!). But I got hooked
> on linux and, at least the theory of, Open Source.

Ah, the Lisp Machines vs Symbolics  days.  That was another formative
period for Stallman, as his notion that code should be shared had him
reverse engineering Symbolics developments and contributing them to
Lisp Machnes.

The market for dedicated hardware running Lisp was transitory, and
evaporated as higher capacity general purpose machines that could run
Lisp  acceptably appeared.  (A beneficiary of the was Gnu Emacs, which
is essentially a Lisp interpreter implementing a Lisp flavor based on
Maclisp.  Most of Emacs is written in the dialect of Lisp it
implements, and if you are fluent  in Lisp you can get it to do all
manner of things.  I knew folks who used Emacs as their shell on Unix
systems, because Emacs could communicate via pipes with the underlying
system, and you could have a terminal session in an Emacs buffer will
all Emacs editing features available.

Emacs could also play games, and got extended to a full IDE with
access to source repositories, compilers, and debuggers.  Developers
never had to leave Emacs when developing code.  I know some folks who
still use Emacs that way.

I have no idea what went on with the effort to make Symbolics into an
educational non-profit.  But note that "non profits" does not mean you
can't make money.  You almost certainly have to to remain a going
concerns.  What non-profit status does is place restrictions on what
you can *do* with the money you make.  (In particular, it can't be
returned to shareholders as dividends.)
_______
Dennis
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519