> On Jul 13, 2019, at 2:49 AM, HTV04 . <htv04ru...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi, I’m new to FreeDOS. I wanted to revive my old computer (a Compaq
> Prosignia 150) that originally had Windows 98, so I set up a CD-ROM with the
> FreeDOS installer.
>
> When I booted from the CD-ROM, everything seemed to be going smoothly. I had
> to use the “raw” workaround, though, otherwise I would be given several
> “Invalid Opcode” errors. This doesn’t have much to do with the problem I’m
> having though, or at least I don’t think so.
>
> Problems arose when I got a message saying that a previous OS was detected
> (which was Windows 98), and that I could either continue installing or make a
> backup. I searched this up online, and found absolutely no documentation on
> this. I came to the conclusion that it would just format my C: drive and
> continued. After I started the install however, it just installed all the
> files alongside my old ones, so the installer completely skipped the part
> where it would format the drive.
>
> So now I have FreeDOS 1.2 installed, but my Windows 98 files still exist. Is
> there anyway to replicate the formatting process from the CD-ROM (and can I
> run the command from the CD-ROM)? If it involves using the format command,
> can you tell me the exact command the installer uses? I kind of have OCDs for
> that sort of thing, sorry. I’m looking to do a full format.
>
> I would recommend a change for this in FreeDOS 1.3, to allow clean installs
> of FreeDOS in place of the operating system currently installed.
>
> Thanks in advance, and I can’t wait to try out FreeDOS on my old computer!
> --
> Sincerely,
> HTV04

it is an easy fix.

Boot the FreeDOS CD.

It will detect FreeDOS 1.2 is already installed and automatically exit to the
command prompt.

Locate the drive you wish to erase. (Probably C:, maybe D:) use "dir c:" to
verify the correct drive partition.

Format the drive with “format c: /q”

Reboot the FreeDOS CD and go through the install process again.