Hello Karen, indeed the screen-reading protocols seem to be not as easy as I imagined they would be. Eric hinted off-list that they may work on a phonem-by-phonem base rather than being able to process "normal" written phrases. Also it seems each screen reader uses its own protocol. PROVOX claims to support things called ACCENT, AUDAPTER, BNS, BRLMATE, DECTALK, DTLT, DTPC, LITETALK, PORTTALK, PSS. Of course none of these names mean anything to me.

Anyway - unless I misunderstood something, Felix was saying that he already has a way to make DOSBox speak, so I guess he has some kind of TSR and software (Windows-based, I think) synth already. Perhaps he could provide more details about his DOSBox setup, that would probably make it easier to figure out a FreeDOS alternative.

Mateusz