March 21, 2020 10:08 AM, mich...@robinson-west.com wrote:

> Confirmed that the BIOS has to be set to disable onboard floppy controller,
> that is for USB floppy
> only.
> The floppy drive seeks, but I get:
>
> Critical error during INT 13 disk access
> INT 13 status (hex): 08
> Bits: DMA troubles
> Program terminated.
>
>> I'm currently setting drive a to high density 1.44m in the bios but
>> disabling onboard floppy, since the bios is expecting a usb floppy.
>>
>> I will try the /D flag and get back to you...
>
> I will try setting the floppy type to disable in the bios, maybe that will
> help...
>
> -- Michael C. Robinson

I tried disabling legacy usb support, no difference.  The floppy type has to be
set in the bios to get anything to happen.
I notice that the bios does not allow me to reserve DMA 2 and IRQ 6 for the
floppy controller...  Yet, one of the USB 2.0 channels tries to take IRQ 6 and
presumably DMA 2 for USB floppy.

If I could get an updated bios that I could tweak...  I could probably fix
this.  I'm about ready to say that this board isn't freedos or even ms-dos
compatible if you need to support booting from 1.44meg floppies.  This is only
a Pentium 4, one doesn't want to get into heavy emulation just to work around
no floppy on such a low spec machine.  I understand for Windows 9x that
Microsoft screwed up USB floppy support, but there should be a patch.  USB
floppy may work in XP, but if you can't use the floppy in a dos environment to
set up the RTC (Real Time Computer), there's no point.

A problem with XP is that HAL masks the ISA bus and there is no driver for the
ISA shared memory card.  It is known that the memory base is D0000 and that it
uses 32k and IRQ 11, but HAL blocks Q-Soft from accessing the card.  In
theory a driver could be written, but Q-Soft may have to be rewritten to
utilize it...  which isn't a realistic proposition for a proprietary Windows 9x
program.  Fixing the floppy support issue isn't an easy problem to solve
either.  Q-Soft will run in XP, it just will have to be run in offline mode.
The utility of running Q-Soft in offline mode is questionable at best.

I had as a goal work around the floppy issue, but I'm hitting a wall here.  I
have a Zip 750 Atapi drive, way overkill when you need to support 1.44m
floppies.  I don't think 98se or XP though can map a zip atapi as the A: drive
where Q-Soft is hard coded to go to A:.  My brother has SBCs with real floppy
controllers.  Maybe we get rid of these EVOC boards.