The problem is that while it's free to use and to modify on FreeDOS, it's restricted to FreeDOS (officially speaking; rumour has it that you're allowed to use it on any DOS based OS unofficially[1]).

You can't (for example) port it to BSD and run it there.

That makes it a non-free license in the GNU sense. I think one of the goals of FreeDOS is to distribute software that you can do *anything* with (including port to other OSes should you want to).

I agree that the situation is wasteful, and I miss the addition of 4dos as well. But I understand the thinking and it's valid.

R.

[1] https://www.4dos.info/sources.htm says:

/ contrary to the above permission "to deal without restriction". When asked "what about MS-DOS, PC-DOS, DR DOS etcetera?", Rex Conn answered:/

*/    I don't have any problems with people using it on those OS's (although/**/
/**/
/**/    I'd be surprised if there was a lot of MS-DOS or PC-DOS action left)./**/
/**/
/**/    That license was written by the FreeDOS people – it was probably worded/**/
/**/
/**/    that way because it's impossible to list every possible variation of the DOS OS's./*