Hi! There is no need to use Linux to replace the MBR boot code,
you can easily do that with DOS tools. Of course if you prefer
Linux tools, they can be used for the same purpose :-)

I assume you want to get rid of Windows, so you do not need to
convert from GPT to MBR. Deleting the partitions and restarting
with MBR will be sufficient. You could also wipe the drive if
you want to leave no data behind when you return the computer.

There are both DOS and Linux tools for that and modern disk even
have built-in features to wipe themselves. For example hdparm in
Linux can be used to start that process, which can take very long.

Regards, Eric