I have MS Word 6 for dos. Its junk. Only does a fraction
of the same windows version. Wordperfect 6.2 is great. I
bought some extras for it. I added stamp and an update
disk.

cheers
DS

On Sun, 3 May 2020 17:05:11 -0500 Jim Hall <jh...@freedos.org> writes:
> If you want a distraction-free word processor, you might also try
> Microsoft
> Word for DOS 5.5. Microsoft released this as a free (gratis)
> download from
> their website. I covered it in this week's FreeDOS video, on our
> YouTube
> channel:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIXZtThIkF0
>
> Direct download is here:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/word97win/Wd55_be/97/WIN98/EN-US/W
d55_ben.exe

> Pretty nice features! I liked the graphics mode, so you can actually
> see
> text in *bold*, *italics* and *underline* (instead of seeing them as
> colors). And LibreOffice and even Google Docs can import the old
> Word for
> DOS 5.5 files - at least for a simple document, I didn't test all
> the
> styles. (But Microsoft Office 365 can't read the old format, which
> is too
> bad.)
>
> Word is now my favorite word processor for DOS.
>
> Jim
>
> On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 3:28 PM Vincent Asaro <carrotfi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Eric,
> >
> > Thank you for the detailed response! I never played video games,
> actually,
> > I'm just nostalgic for the text interface experience and I really
> want to
> > use WordPerfect again but without installing a VM. As long as I
> can enter
> > code and also load DOS programs via USB, I'll get tons of mileage
> out of FD
> > - there are several legacy word processors I also want to try,
> like
> > Electric Pencil. A weird obsession, I know, but I'm a writer ;)
> Thanks
> > again!
> >
> > ~ Vincent
> >
> > On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 4:14 PM Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de>
> wrote:
> >

> >> Hi Vincent! I would say as long as it has at least a
> >> few megabytes of RAM and at least a 386 CPU, FreeDOS
> >> should run on any PC ;-) Which specific parts are you
> >> worried about? The BIOS will usually support "legacy"
> >> OS such as DOS in helping with USB keyboard and mouse
> >> access and access to any built-in harddisk or SSD.
> >>
> >> Even the newest graphics cards should still support
> >> classic text mode and common VGA modes, but there
> >> is a thread in the BTTR forum complaining that some
> >> new graphics cards became too exotic for DOS games.
> >>
> >> Note that almost no game for DOS will support current
> >> sound infrastructure such as AC97 or HDA. If you are
> >> looking for sound beyond the PC speaker or beeper, it
> >> is better to run DOS in a virtual environment such as
> >> dosemu2 or a complete generic virtual PC. Using dosemu
> >> has the advantage that you get guest drivers which let
> >> you access a Linux directory as if it was a DOS disk.
> >>
> >> Regarding disk sizes: FreeDOS supports only MBR style
> >> partitions yet, no GPT, so you are limited to using
> >> the first 2 TB of your disks. If your BIOS does not
> >> support LBA48, it could even be the first 128 GB.
> >>
> >> Regards, Eric
> >>
> >> PS: There are some DOS media players which support some
> >> newer sound chips, but I do not know any games which do.

> [...]

Ireland Reaches Out to Help Navajo Nation
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5eb2da56653445a5646c6st03duc1
Salon Owner's Choice: Jail or Apology. She Chose Jail
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5eb2da5689c335a5646c6st03duc2
In This Nation, 'Murder Hornets' Used in Snacks, Drinks, Decor
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5eb2da56adff45a5646c6st03duc3