On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 11:56 AM Johnpaul Humphrey <jpth1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to disable the beep in certain freedos applications.> Most importantly
> COMMAND.COM

> So I think I have two options as far as freecom is concerned:
> 1. cut the wires, I want to avoid that if possible.
> 2. recompile freecom or any app that doesn't explicitly configure the bell.
> I thought before I sink a lot of time into recompiling, that I would
> ask around and see if there is some configuration file I missed.

AFAIK, no.  What hardware are you running on?  If you are running
FreeDOS in a VM, you can probably silence the speaker from the host
OS.  If you are booting FreeDOS as the OS on the machine, it's a
problem.  Some BIOSes back in the day would let you set speaker
volume.  Failing that, your option was usually to disconnect the
speaker.

A possible option is use of a TSR which will attempt to mute the
speaker.  Most of these work by continuously polling for speaker
events, so you will get some level of performance hit from running
them.  Go to https://www.sac.sk/files.php?d=16&l= and search for
speaker in the listing for downloads on some.

Another possibility is https://www.pcorner.com/list/UTILITY/SIL2.ZIP/INFO/

I have not tested these and cannot say how well they work.
______
Dennis

.

> Johnpaul T. Humphrey