Sorry about the confusion, Ralf:

Just as I have installed LTS versions of Ubuntu on my 64-bit computers, so I chose the stable FreeDOS 1.2.

Ok, just to be clear, FreeDOS of course does not run or install on any version of Linux, be it 32bit or 64bit.

I have Ubuntu Linux on two 64-bit computers. While I have FreeDOS 1.2 installed on a 32-bit computer.

Being a user of both Ubuntu (on 64 bit computers) and FreeDOS (on a 32-bit computer), I chose for the latter version 1.2--and not 1.3 as a more-competent previous-poster had wrongly-assumed of me!

Therefor, what you failed to mention, at least I could not find it in any previous post of yours (unless I missed one, had a long and stressful day) is what kind of VM/emulator you are using in order to try and install/run FreeDOS.

I had used a 64-bit computer running Ubuntu 20.04.1 to make a FreeDOS CD-ROM. I then put the latter into the 32-bit FreeDOS computer. And I have been since struggling with the latter.
--
members.iinet.net.au/~kilgallin/