> I do dare to ask a dumb question, after reading several post about FSF.
>
> Can anyone explain what is FSF, i'm just a simple tech guy!

One thing they also do - perhaps the most important in my opinion - is
that they keep companies who make use of free software honest.  They
will commence legal action against companies that take advantage of
open source software by using it without complying with the licence.

There are companies out there that think because the source code is
available for free, they can do what they want with it.  So they
release a product, one of us buys it, then we want to use the source
code to make changes to the device so that it works better for our
needs.

Oh no, they say, you can't do that.  We got the code for free and we
made changes to it, but you dear customer, aren't allowed to touch it.

That's when the FSF can get involved and ensure the company plays by
the rules.  They've had some high profile cases over the years, and
this is in part why aftermarket router firmware is so widely available.
Since most manufacturers use Linux, they are required to release all
the code which allows projects like OpenWRT to work on those devices
too.

This wasn't always the case, and there are still some manufacturers
who make it very difficult, but it is due to the work of the FSF that
the non-compliant companies are becoming fewer and fewer.

Cheers,
Adam.