Hello Adam,

I've never really understood why people complain about the GPL being
viral - perhaps you can enlighten me with another viewpoint.  I only
ever see it from the point of view where someone is very happy to make
use of code another has provided for free, but they don't want to share
their own code in return, which seems a bit selfish and unfair to me.

I am sure the numerous developers working on Apache, FreeBSD, etc. would
disagree with that characterization.

Perhaps --- at least this is how I view it --- the problem is not that
the GPL requires people to "share in return", but it requires people to
"share in return" in extremely specific, prescribed ways, which also
happen to be incompatible with other extremely specific, prescribed ways
to "share in return".

And we end up with a situation where even the FSF's own libgcc,
autoconf, and bison projects --- there may be others --- decided they
need to open up "special exceptions" to the GPLv3 terms.  E.g.

"As a special exception to the GNU General Public License, if you
distribute this file [./missing] as part of a program that contains a
configuration script generated by Autoconf, you may include it under the
same distribution terms that you use for the rest of that program."

and

"As a special exception, when this file is copied by Bison into a Bison
output file, you may use that output file without restriction.  This
special exception was added by the Free Software Foundation in version
1.24 of Bison."

Something is not well, if we must have so many "exceptions" for Free
Software to work as it should.

(My libi86 project happens to use autoconf, so yes, this issue is indeed
quite relevant for my code.)

Thank you!

--
https://gitlab.com/tkchia :: https://github.com/tkchia