To: freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net
Sent: Friday April 9 2021 8:31:31AM
Subject: Re: [Freedos-user] Using a USB stick and an optical drive

 Blimey you two, I have been bombarded with lots of info and
questions.
 Here goes:

 Full spec of laptop here:
https://www.comx-computers.co.za/laptop-specification-sheet.php?laptop=40065
 />
 I have used ReactOS in a virtual environment. So I have downloaded
the
 live CD ISO burnt it to a DVD and booted from it. It got far into the
 process but is stuck at "Installing devices". This looked promising.
 If it had booted all the way to desktop I was going to insert the
memory
 stick onto which I had copied the BIOS upgrade programme. But alas,
 alack it is not to be.

 As a best guess would putting ReactOS onto a memory stick overcome
this
 problem?

 Before I progress to Liam's options is there any other option you can
 think of.

 Thanks and wait to hear

 Stephanos

 On 09/04/2021 13:39, Michael Christopher Robinson wrote:
 > Ditch the memory stick even if you can do this from inside DOSBOX
 > directly on top of Linux. It's worth a shot even if you have to
swap in
 > MS-DOS 6.22 temporarily or Windows 98SE DOS prompt temporarily in
 > DOSBOX. If you can do this from within DOSBOX, you don't have to go
get
 > any media you may not already have and you avoid burning a CD-R as
well.

 > Please ignore Liam, he obviously has an issue with me. If you need
an
 > equivalent to Windows XP that is completely legal to use but not
yet a
 > Beta, ReactOS is having memory management problems still, you may
need a
 > ReactOS LiveCD ISO image and you probably do NOT need to burn the
ISO to
 > a CD at all. You can use a USB flash drive or you can absolutely
use a
 > CD-R, if you want to. The ReactOS web site has information on how
 > put an image on either a CD-R or a Flash drive.
 >
 > You may need a program called Rufus for a Windows environment to
put a
 > ReactOS live CD image on a flash drive. I also recommend
 > Deepburner1.exe if you need it, which is free as long as you don't
use
 > the pro version. For that matter, use your favorite open source
burning
 > program on the Linux system you have on that laptop and you
definitely
 > want to use the burner in that laptop so that the CD reads in that
laptop.

 > http://www.reactos.org [1]
 >
 > You probably don't need anything other than a FreeDOS 1.0 boot disk
 > image to get your update done, that much is true. I wouldn't go
that
 > old and I wouldn't rule out doing this from DOSBOX directly on top
of
 > Linux either. This old DELL has a real BIOS, so I would highly
suspect
 > that you can update it from inside DOSBOX runing on top of Linux. I
 > recommend that you try FreeDOS 1.1 or FreeDOS 1.2 first in DOSBOX.
 >
 > As far as can you emulate on this latop without dedicated emulation
 > hardware, you can use VMWARE workstation version 5 or earlier. You
 > might be able to use QEMU. Maybe Bochs will work. Note that you
should
 > be able to grab a VMWARE image from ReactOS.org saving you from
needing
 > to have a VMWARE workstation license for an ancient version of
VMWARE
 > which costs money. I am overly dependent on VirtualBox myself.

 />

Links:
------
[1] http://www.reactos.org