Dear both again

I should also say that
1) the BIOS upgrade file size is 1950KB
2) I have an external floppy drive but might not have floppies, I will
search
3) I have an external USB CD/DVD reader/writer, that usually needs both
of its 2 USB cables to power it when burning
4) There is some sort of 32/64 bit issue with this laptop I have never
understood.  The version of Kubuntu 18.04 is 64 bit.  When I download an
installation file for another programme, one that says it does 32 and
64, the output to screen says that the 32 bit version is being installed.
5) I do not have zip or LS120 drives

Just seen Tom's contribution.  Does the file size support that theory.
Even without the file size supporting the theory, it is plausible.

Thanks again

Stephanos