Hi Liam,

there have been TSR to display a clock or other status in DOS,
at a selectable location or by reserving a whole line on screen.

About your suggestion to show which drives exist at boot: The
installer could use VOL, a FOR loop and testing whether or not
a drive exists to display such information. There also are some
left-over tools from older versions of the distro to check which
drives are CD/DVD, which are FAT12, FAT16 or FAT32, how much
space is free on them and so on.

I myself have the 4 kB VOLINFXL tool which shows the NAME, SIZE,
USED and FREE space of all drives. You can find a copy e.g. on
http://ericauer.cosmodata.virtuaserver.com.br/soft/specials/

> I always put a few commands in at the end of AUTOEXEC.BAT to display
> the disk cache size (SMARTDRV /V on PC DOS), the amount of free base
> memory (MEM /C), and the DOS version (VER /R). A list of available
> drives would be a really nice addition.

The output of MEM is so long (shortest style is without /C I think)
that you would not fit much else on the screen. Same for the output
of LBACACHE (when loading, or using the INFO or STAT options later).

The good thing about VER /R is that it shows both kernel and command.com
version in 3 lines (plus one empty line before that). As people probably
use UHDD+UDVD2 instead of LBACACHE+?+CDRCACHE, cache info will differ.

> For a more friendly FDISK, it might be possible to adapt the Linux
> `cfdisk` tool...

What would be the pros and cons relative to the already existing DOS
versions of Ranish, fdisk, xfdisk and spfdisk?

> I have long been pondering a very simple, very heavily cut-down,
> text-only Linux whose main purpose was to multitask multiple instances
> of DOSemu

Too late? ;-) https://cmaiolino.wordpress.com/dosbian/

Regards, Eric