Hi Jim,

>> https://www.bttr-software.de/forum/board_entry.php?id=17794

Of course, fresh replies keep coming in there, too :-)

> 1. Ugly FDISK
> 2. LiveCD is unusable

The Live CD is not useful as "Boot and get tools" CD, but
I am not sure whether that is the goal. However, just "Boot
as if you had put a DOS boot disk into your floppy drive"
would really miss most of the opportunities of having more
space on CD, even if you want to be humble. Do not be TOO
humble.

> 3. After installation, the installer doesn't set up a GUI
> or even a file manager by default

It seems the installation is BASE only. Again, only putting
alternatives for those things on a whole target harddisk
partition which you would have gotten from 3 floppies full
of MS DOS does not match the vast space even of a 20 year
old computer. We do not need th

> 4. Complaints about the programs and utilities, and how
> they are organized

By the way, there could be more "luring me into the LSM HTML
overview" for example at the root directory of the IBIBLIO
category directories of our classic package collection which
you link directly from http://freedos.org/download/ ==>
https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/
because there are no readme files or anything similar. Only
the inconspicuous "What's included" link, but not the big
colored "FreeDOS files archive" link gives you orientation:

https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.2/repos/pkg-html/index.html

Good to know that FreeDOS 1.3rc4 will bring improvements :-)

About FDISK, what are YOUR thoughts about xfdisk, spfdisk, ranish?

> - Compatibility is key.
> - FreeDOS 1.3 will remain 16-bit.

Nothing stops you from including 32-bit apps like DOSFSCK
in particular on a CD ISO which is almost impossible to
boot on 16-bit hardware anyway. You can limit stripping
down things to 16-bit only to the floppy edition of 1.3,
which should ALSO make KSSF loading for FreeCOM available
as normal XMS swap FreeCOM is a big memory hog on systems
which do not provide XMS. Of course, please also include
both FDXMS286, 8086-compatible (but FAT32-enabled?) kernel
and the 386+ EMS/XMS drivers there. After all, even 386
computers are still hard to boot from CD/DVD drives.

> - FreeDOS 1.3 will retain focus on a single-user command-line environment.

Agreed, no need to default-install a GUI and most GUIs are
somewhat large so the could be reserved to larger versions
of the ISO. Still nice to have a big ISO with plenty BUT
not all apps to have a good pile of apps without requiring
additional separate downloads :-)

> - FreeDOS 1.3 will continue to run on old PCs
> (XT, '286, '386, etc)

In particular the floppy edition. There is not much point
to say the CD edition is not allowed to require e.g. 16 MB
of RAM for cache and RAMDISK in a world where only such PC
which cannot boot a CD at all have less than that amount.

> but will support new hardware with expanded driver support,
> where possible.

Sure!

> - The "Base" package group will contain everything that
> replicates the functionality from MS-DOS.

YES, as a means of organizing stuff, but NO, the CD ISO
edition should make it very clear that BASE is only for
minimalists and it should already include MORE than BASE
ready for install without requiring additional downloads.

Also, the Live CD mode should already have a bit more
than BASE, but it could work with "unzipping selected
packages to a RAMDISK of maybe 12 or 128 MB" if we want
to avoid to include packages twice (packaged and live).

> I don't see turning FreeDOS into a "mini-Windows" or a "mini-Linux."

Indeed.

Regards, Eric