why not consider testing that effort with ms. dos 7.1 instead of dos 6?
Karen

On Wed, 23 Jun 2021, Jon Brase wrote:

Continuing a conversation from back in March, I took Liam's suggestion of using a PCI SATA adapter. I ended up getting a card with a SiI3114 chipset. I actually got the card a while ago, but took my sweet time getting around to installing it.

The good: The card is bootable, and with only a SATA drive on it the machine will boot Linux and FreeDOS. Linux will recognize both SATA and IDE drives in any combination and configuration.

The bad: My configuration includes MS-DOS 6, which will not see any drives on the SATA card at all, so a mixed configuration is required, despite Liam's warnings. This does have consequences:

The ugly: If the IDE drive is mounted on the secondary IDE channel, neither MS nor FreeDOS will see the IDE drive. If the IDE drive is mounted on the primary IDE channel, the SATA card is not bootable (the BIOS seems to try booting from the primary IDE channel and then gives up without passing boot off to the SATA card, so Grub has to be on the IDE disk), but at least both MS and FreeDOS will see the IDE disk. FreeDOS itself will still see the SATA disk. However, in this configuration FreeDOS fdisk claims to find no fixed disks. MS fdisk claims a bogus HDD size, so only Linux tools can be used to reliably partition the disk (despite giving dire warnings about messing with FAT volumes containing bootable MS-DOS systems). My configuration includes Win95 (though I can run most of what I'd run there on other machines, so it's not as critical). Win95 has no drivers for the SATA card (earliest drivers are WDM drivers, so Win98 at the earliest). Win98 is supposed to support the card, but its installer seems to run completely under DOS, and doesn't give an opportunity to load drivers before installing, so it only sees the IDE disk. Because of my BIOS's limitations in dealing with large drives, it will take some finagling of partition sizes and locations to allow both DOS 6 and Win98 to boot from the IDE disk whilst giving both a decent amount of space (though hopefully Win98 will be able to use a FAT32 partition on the SATA disk as a data/program disk once the drivers are installed).

Still, despite everything under "the ugly", the most crucial elements of my configuration are up and running with a lot more space than they used to have.

Jon Brase