Hi!

I am not sure if we have understoood Jon's question correctly.

Not so much a question just as a review of what I was able to
achieve with the plan of action Liam had suggested back in March
and the constraints existing in my configuration.

As I said, I have the most crucial bits of my configuration working.

Does he need any changes for the BIOS at all? Maybe the issue
is simply that MS DOS can only use the first 8 GB of your disk,
with at most 2 GB per partition, because it is FAT16 CHS only?

Yeah, but I don't really need more than that. The original plan had
been to boot everything from the SATA disk (SSD, using an expanded
version of the partition layout from when the machine was single-IDE)
with the IDE disk (magnetic) reserved for swap, but MS-DOS simply
will not see anything on the SATA card, so a 2 GB partition on the
IDE disk does nicely for it.

Where things get a bit sticky is:

1) That MS-DOS will quite happily deal with a 2 GiB FAT16 partition
on the IDE drive (and even a second one above it), but BIOS can
only address the first 1.3 GB of the IDE drive due to the
interaction of the reported CHS geometry of the drive with the
BIOS's CHS limits. Ideally, I'd like to do something like:

2GB FAT16 (DOS) -> Several GB FAT32 (Win98) -> Linux swap on the rest
of the drive

But I'm using Grub legacy (because I ran into trouble earlier on this
machine getting Grub2 to boot both DOS 6 and Win95, I forget the exact
details), and Grub legacy uses BIOS for disk access on the IDE disk (it
deals quite happily with the SATA disk), so all the entry points for
OSes on the IDE disk have to be below the 1.3 GB mark. This will mean
some partition juggling.

2) Win98 drivers exist for the SATA card, so in principle, I should be
able to install it in the existing Win95 FAT32 partition on the SATA
disk, but the install environment is straight DOS and doesn't see the
SATA disk, and while it gives a nice overview of the install process
that includes loading drivers for hardware, that's *after* "install the
OS to disk" and "reboot" steps (rather than the very first thing like
any sensible OS installer). It even seems to struggle with anything other
than a FAT16 CHS partition (FAT32 isn't visible, FAT16 LBA is visible but
it screams when trying to actually access it). This may have to do with
the install CD I chose, but unless different media presents me with more
options, it looks like the existing partition on the SATA disk will only
be usable as a data partition after the install is complete.

Many old BIOSes already work fine for the first 128/137 GB if you
have a LBA FAT32 DOS such as FreeDOS, EDR-DOS or Win98 DOS 7 :-)

And as far as I have understood, he can boot either from onboard
IDE (PATA) controllers or from his add-on SATA controller card.

I'm able to boot from the SATA card if the IDE drive is on the secondary
IDE channel, but not if it's on the primary channel. If the IDE drive is
on the secondary channel, it's invisible to any sort of DOS (including
FreeDOS, which sees all FAT partitions of any type onĀ  both drives if
the IDE disk is on the primary channel). So the IDE drive has to be on
the primary channel. This complicates boot a bit, but Grub can see and
launch anything on either drive from either drive, so it just means that
Grub has to be on the IDE drive.