Eric,
clearly you do not know the difference between software and hardware speech, if you can even suggest I risk myself ..again, by talking of Linux below.
The only point I will speak to is one that echos your own.
If Links incorporated additional forms of JavaScript then the one used, same can be said for e-links, then for me personally those browsers might be just fine. I use sshdos to reach a Ubuntu shell, but even in Ubuntu the links and elinks JavaScript falls short in places, especially if cloudflare is being used. In the case of Links for dos, there are two problems, the JavaScript one, and the lack of automatic speech in links for dos. It is not a problem for the editions of the software incorporated into the Ubuntu shell, such as the one dreamhost provides with its shared hosting accounts. I keep meaning to write the developers about this issue, but have not found the time. as for Dos adaptive technology having the ability to manage graphics, it depends on how the graphical interface is written and the nature of the tool, there are scores of them after all. certainly I want a DOS only solution, I use only DOS, and this is a list called freedos. If I want to be reminded of all the Linux problems, I need only read the lists like speakup, where even in the command line Linux cannot find a dectalk USB. Lastly text to speech is not a screen reader. Opting out of further discussion, We have a good 12 years of miscommunication, and I have no vested interest in talking to walls.