On 13/10/2021 11:49, tom ehlert wrote:
I'm 100% certain that MSDOS didn't generate € characters in any
codepage. this should end the story of €'s.

As explained by others numerous times, the display-talks-to-keyb mechanism is much wider than the one euro symbol.

1'st: 'problems' is the plural of problem. 1 person running a single
museum 256K computer and insisting on using a 21'st century OS is
still just 1 problem.

I must admit that referring to FreeDOS as a "21st century OS" is a hilarious joke. Well played, sir.

2'nd: your machine is perfectly fine with the software that it came
with: MSDOS 1.0 or maybe 2.x

MSDOS 3.3, to be precise. And yes, it works very well with MSDOS 3.3 and all newest versions as well. Following your line of thought, nobody should install FreeDOS, because it did not came with their machine originally.

3'd: use the non-XMS-SWAP version of FreeCOM. it does exist, and is
supposed to swap to/from disk (I never tried). case dismissed.

This is an experimental and very limited feature. The xms-swap kludge is a workaround, not an improvement. One could say that FreeDOS' kswap is to MSDOS swapping what mkeyb is to a proper keyboard driver.

I am not complaining of course - I am only demonstrating how subjective "real issues" can be.

Mateusz