> Only highly desirable to those who don't use screen readers.
>
> Using a graphical mode but simulating a text mode would not work for
> anyone using a screen reader, since there's no possible way for the
> screen reader to "read" the graphical screen.

Actually, there is a way.  I've never used a screen reader, but if the screen
reader "reads" the screen using INT 10.08 instead of directly reading video
memory, INT 10.08 could be emulated by the graphical driver.  INT 10.08 will
"read" characters from both graphics mode and text mode screens, but if INT
10.08 is emulated properly by the CON driver it could return the appropriate
data.

I'm not necessarily suggesting that this is a good idea, but it is possible.

> Emulating a text screen certainly isn't the same as actually using a
> text screen, and if there aren't methods for the screen reader to
> know what's supposed to be on the screen, then there's no way for
> the screen reader to read said characters.  Your solution might
> work, but it would break many things, (not just screen readers).

You're correct that it could potentially break lots of things.  The good thing
about DOS is that you can do almost anything.  The bad thing about DOS is that
you can do almost anything.