Hi, thanks for your reply.

I understood. I will explore that way.

That "drivers could interfere with the flashing process" is new to me. Of
course in the past -when floppies were still a common thing- I have always
upgraded my BIOSes via win98 boot floppy. I already installed FreeDOS 1.3
RC4 on an old, spare IDE disk, and I'm able to read an USB stick. So I was
thinking about to copy the update and flash utility to the hard disk, then
restart so USB isn't needed, then proceed with the flashing. That could be
an easy way to update as many different machines as needed. But after
reading your answer, I get this could be "bad". Am I right? Could not
needed modules (except, say, keyboard and IDE) be unloaded before flashing?
Would that be "safe" enough? I guess that even the "floppy" image will have
to load some drivers...

I'm going to purchase an up-to-date flashed BIOS chip as a backup anyway.
That's cheaper (about €10) than to purchase a 10 floppy box (about €35
here) and it will be nice to have it as a backup. But, having that backup,
I would like to do some tests...

Thank you again