Eric,

I suggest a much shorter algorithm: Simply apply
> advzip with the "recompress" option to the ZIP
> files :-)

If you do this on freedos/files/repositories/latest today, then you'll get:

  2,586,758,742 bytes, original total ZIP size
  2,535,458,056 bytes, after `advzip -k -p -z -3 `

That's 51 MB, or 2%, for free.

But normalizing the source code that is bundled in distro packages is
where the big savings happen because it makes the most compressible part of
the archive behave like a solid 7Z file.

It is interesting that you also got savings with arj and bz2-zip,

ARJ has comparable performance, but BZIP2 is too slow to decompress on old
computers.

The zopfli method will get another few megabytes, but it needs more than a
day of CPU time to finish.

Of course before this is done on the whole repo,
> somebody with PKUNZIP2 has to volunteer to tell
> us whether an example advzipped ZIP is still fully
> compatible. As far as I remember, this was one of
> the design goals of advcomp, so I am optimistic.

The advzip output is indeed compatible with both pkunzip-2.04g and
pkunzip-2.50 running on a DOS machine with one megabyte of memory.

The way AdvanceCOMP checks and retains metadata is satisfying.  If you run
advzip on the entire FreeDOS collection, then you'll notice a non-trivial
number of malformed and/or corrupt ZIP files.