I understand what you were saying. But remember that FreeDOS as an open-source
project was created back in the 1990s, and more than 20 years had passed since
then. Similarly, Linux as an open-source project was also created in the 1990s,
and it has been getting mainstream support. There should be no doubt that both
are open-source OSes, so the fact of being open-source project alone cannot
explain the difference between FreeDOS and Linux.
DOS and Linux have very different command-line styles. Both styles have their
own advantages, and it is not the case that one is "better" than the other.
Some people prefer the DOS style over the Linux style, so running Linux is not
really the solution for them.
While the kernels of most DOS flavors are single-tasking, there have been a lot
of examples of achieving multi-tasking abilities on DOS systems, such as
Windows 3.x and DESQView/X, although the latter has several limitations. Even
Windows 9x is based on DOS, and it can be considered a greatly improved version
of WFW 3.11. You can open several DOS command prompts in either Windows 3.x or
9x, and they are pretty stable for the most part. This did demonstrate that
multi-tasking based on DOS is completely possible, and theoretically one can
extract or try to replicate this ability from Windows 3.x or 9x and either made
it a standalone multitasking manager for DOS, or embed it in an open-source DOS
kernel. It does not need to be done by a single person - GNU/Linux is not
developed by one person either, but many developers in the open-source
community. This has not happened for the DOS community mostly because
(unfortunately) many people mistakenly considered that multitasking is not
possible for DOS, when it certainly can be done. Once there is a stable
multitasking open-source DOS environment, then more people will realize the
real potential of DOS, and there is a much better chance that DOS will develop
in a way like Linux.
Also, DOS is never limited to 16-bit. There are a lot of 32-bit programs or
development environment for DOS, with DOS/4GW, DJGPP, and HX DOS Extender being
some famous examples. So 32-bit is nothing new for DOS. HX-DOS Extender can
even run some Windows 32 GUI PE programs on DOS, which is why programs like
Bochs and DOSBox-X can run on DOS itself.
Clearly, it is certainly possible for DOS to work like a modern OS like Linux,
but some relatively common misconceptions of DOS severely limit its further
developments so that it has not evolved into a modern environment. But if it
gets substantial developments which attract more people in the open-source
community, then it will develop even faster, unlike the current situation that
its use cases getting more and more limited.
Wengier    On Friday, December 24, 2021, 09:07:11 p.m. EST, dmccunney
<dennis.mccun...@gmail.com> wrote:

 On Fri, Dec 24, 2021 at 5:47 PM Wengier W via Freedos-user
<freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> I certainly hope to see more people using DOS/FreeDOS as the only (or
> primary) operating system. However, without things like full support for
> Internet and modern hardware (modern sound card, USB devices, etc) this
> cannot occur, unfortunately. IMO, DOS/FreeDOS need to support things just
> like a typical "modern" OS (e.g. Linux) does, so that the general public
> won't consider DOS a "legacy" OS, or a system that is limited to very
> specific uses.

Got access to lots and lots of money to throw at the problem?  No?
Assume it won't be solved.

Aside from the questions of whether some of what you see as needed are
*possible* on a single-tasking, single threaded system in a 16 bit
environment, what you want will require serious system level hacking.
The folks who *can* do that do it for a living and expect to be paid
comparable salaries. They aren't going to spend the time and effort
involved to contribute it as open source software to a hobby project
that isn't even their hobby.

If you want support for things like a modern OS like Linux does, *run*
Linux.  Assume DOS of any flavor will never have that level of
support.
______
Dennis

_______