On Thu, 30 Dec 2021 at 21:04, Deposite Pirate <dpir...@metalpunks.info> wrote:

> Windows XP can indeed officially be installed and boot from FAT32.
>
> https://kb.iu.edu/d/ajqm

AFAICS that page is inconclusive and merely says that XP supports
FAT16, 32 and NTFS, which was never in doubt. But I checked and you're
right. It's a long time since I installed XP!

It seems it's NT 6 and above (Vista & later) that make NTFS a hard
requirement for the Windows System drive.

FWIW, I always used to have a DOS boot partition (C:) and put Windows
on D: back in the XP days. It was useful to have the ability to
dual-boot DOS for BIOS reflashing and occasionally for emergency data
recovery. I made the partition big enough to hold XP's pagefile, as
this was slightly quicker than having it on NTFS, it reduced
fragmentation on the Windows system drive, and if you needed the space
in DOS you can just delete PAGEFILE.SYS — Windows will silently
recreate it next boot.

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lpro...@gmail.com