On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 at 01:46, Deposite Pirate <dpir...@metalpunks.info> wrote:

> Windows NT was designed to work with FAT. Windows NT 4

... and the 3 earlier versions...

> always
> first formats the install partition as a FAT16 filesystem and then if
> you selected NTFS at install, it converts the FAT16 file system online
> to NTFS on the first reboot after install.

Yep.

> This typical Microsoftish genius idea, makes you jump through all kinds of
> hoops
> that include a third party online repartitioning tool to install it on
> an NTFS partition bigger than 2Gb.

That's unfair. I think it's connected with the way NT <5 bootstrapped
an installation.

Relevant digression: you can start NT installation from DOS. This was
a very useful feature and I urged IBM to copy it, but the techies I
spoke to could not understand why.

NT 3.x predates EIDE; indeed I ordered and returned a bunch of very
early EIDE Pentium 1 PCs because NT could only see the first 512MB of
their 540MB disks. We had to swap them for SCSI machines.

When NT 3.1/3.5/3.51 came out, most PCs could not boot from CD. Many
CD drives were attached to sound cards via proprietary interfaces;
Panasonic, Mitsumi and Sony were common:
https://goughlui.com/2012/11/12/tech-flashback-before-atapi-cd-roms-were-proprietary-interfaces/

No OS could boot off these, and most only supported DOS and Win9x in
DOS compatibility mode.

This also made it possible to install over the network without a local CD drive.

So, you could boot a PC under DOS, make a FAT partition, copy the NT
files from the CD or a network server onto the FAT partition, run
WINNT.EXE *under DOS* and  it built a very minimal installation system
on the hard disk. The folder name varied but it was something like
C:\~$win.nt$\

Then it rebooted the PC into that, where a 2nd stage setup ran and
built the real NT system. Then it rebooted into _that_. If you picked
NTFS that now ran `CONVERT C: /FS:NTFS` on your drive.

I don't think MS was trying to be awkward, and this functionality was
a lifesaver. It allowed me at one corporate client to bring up a whole
roomful of dozens of NT 4 machines with only a single optical drive on
the server, which saved so much money it paid for about 2-3 more PCs.

You could bypass the DOS step by booting from 3 special NT boot
floppies, but the DOS method was quicker, easier and more versatile.

Under OS/2 2.x and later, you only had the floppy method, and you had
to get your CD working under those boot floppies, adding drivers,
editing its vast multi-hundred-line CONFIG.SYS file to suit... it was
a major pain. If there were no OS/2 drivers for your CD, then you had
to copy the install files to a partition that the boot floppies could
access. The setup program only ran under OS/2 2 itself and couldn't
start from DOS.

But the 2-stage NT setup is why it went through this
format-as-FAT-then-convert process. It limited your Windows system
drive to a max of 4GB until PartitionMagic came along, but it worked
and it meant it was easy to get NT onto machines that OS/2 only
installed upon with great difficulty, or not at all.

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lpro...@gmail.com