On Sun, Mar 13, 2022 at 9:42 AM Christian <abelschre...@freenet.de> wrote:

> Hi all,  šŸ˜
>
> I have FreeDOS 1.2 running in a virtual machine (KVM/qemu). My host
> is Linux/Lubuntu 20.04.4 LTS, 64 bit.
>
> ThereĀ“s one "mystery" regarding FreeDOS though.
>
> HereĀ“s an example to demonstrate the "problem":
>
> I have a text-file, say "try.txt".
>
> What does work are the commands
>
>  "type try.txt" and also "more try.txt".
>
> When searching for a certain word within the text (example: find
> "search-word" try.txt) it works as well. The instances of lines
> containing the search-word are displayed.
>
> However: At the end I get the following message:
>
> "Fehler beim Lesen von Laufwerk A: im DOS-Bereich: Allgemeiner Fehler
> (A)bbrechen, (I)gnorieren, (W)iederholen, (F)ehler?"
>
> The output is in German, so the English equivalent should be
> something like:
>
> "Error reading from drive A: DOS area: general error
> (A)bort, (I)gnore, (R)etry, (F)ail?"
>[..]

That was a bug in that version of FIND in FreeDOS 1.2. This was fixed
in FreeDOS 1.3. Here's an example showing that I really don't have a
floppy drive ("A:") so I get the error if I try a DIR but I don't get
the error with FIND. This uses FreeDOS 1.3:

C:\>dir A:
Error reading from drive A: DOS area: unknown command given to driver
(A)bort, (I)gnore, (R)etry, (F)ail?
File not found. - 'A:'

C:\>find "hi there" FDAUTO.BAT