I've found that the ADM PCNet adaptor in QEMU (-device pcnet) with the
matching DOS drivers work well under FreeDOS.  I wasn't able to get any of
the other QEMU emulated ethernet devices to work properly under DOS.

I spent a lot of time fighting with the Intel adaptors - it seems the QEMU
emulated Intel adaptors are pretty new, and the Intel DOS drivers are
pretty old.  I finally gave up and went back to AMD PCNet.

I was able to use NDIS2 drivers with MSNET (using TCP/IP bindings and
talking to a Samba server) as well as packet drivers with the DOS based TCP
stacks.  Also works well with etherdfs.

Hopefully that saves you some time (I spent a lot of time troubleshooting
these adaptors on the DOS side.)

- Darrin