> On Fri, Oct 7, 2022 at 4:55 PM Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > (Disclaimer: I've never personally used TeX but am still aware of it.)

[..]

On Fri, Oct 7, 2022 at 5:35 PM dmccunney <dennis.mccun...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have used it a bit,  but can't imagine doing it under DOS
>
> TeX is another gift to the computing world from  Donald A Knuth,
>
> The primary usage I've seen for TeX is typesetting mathematical
> equations.  Non-ASCII characters. superscript and subscript and the
> like a grist for TeX's mill,
>
> The reason I can see for trying to use TeX under DOS is having  a TeX
> source file I want to render.  That would likely be to a printed page,
> and would presume a printer capable of properly rendering the file.
> (I'm not aware of a TeX viewer for DOS. though I suppose if you could
> dump the out as an image file a DOS image viewer might serve.)

I used EmTeX quite a lot when I was an undergraduate physics student.
Our physics program was very lab-focused, so it seemed I was always
writing a new lab results report. And as part of describing the
analysis, we needed to include the necessary equations. I really liked
how LaTeX rendered equations - they looked really nice, and they were
easy to write once you understood the syntax. I could have used the
University's Unix labs to write LaTeX documents (and I often did) but
I would have had to pay per-page to print my nicely formatted LaTeX
documents to the laser printer. It was cheaper to render the document
on my DOS PC in my room, and print to my Epson printer.