On 11/7/2022 5:07 AM, Joseph Norton wrote:

Hi listers:

I’m just curious about how you all feel about the use of lfn in FreeDOS (or any real DOS).

I notice that the lfn option is rem’d out in the fdauto.bat file by default, so it would appear that, while support seems to be there, the feelings of the developers are leaning toward not using it unless it’s necessary.

If I remember correctly, there are at least 2 DOS tsr’s that deal with enabling long filename support.

I’m curious about what your feelings about lfn are.  Do you keep lfn turned on, or off?  If so, why?

Feelings? None. None what so ever... 😛

But I only use this feature sparingly, as there are a lot of older software that can't handle them. And the mapping to some xyz~1.abc is actually losing two significant characters of those 8 available for generally usable filenames.

Ralf 😉