On 11/8/2022 2:55 AM, userbeit...@abwesend.de wrote:
On Nov 8, 2022, 01:58, Ralf Quint wrote:
But I only use this feature sparingly, as there are a lot of older
software that can't handle them. And the mapping to some xyz~1.abc is
actually losing two significant characters of those 8 available for
generally usable filenames.

On Linux, you can mount a FAT filesystem with the mount option
"nonumtail", where you don't get the trailing "~1" at the end when it is
still possible, e.g. when there are no other files with the same name.

How is any Linux feature possibly helping me with running an older, non-LFN aware program on (Free)DOS?

Ralf