Well, coreboot opensource x86 firmware will help you! The default
coreboot's payload is SeaBIOS - a modern legacy-style BIOS written on
C, without any UEFI crap. In addition, thanks to opensource - you can
finally trust that your BIOS doesn't have the backdoors / holes /
broken code hastily written for a bowl of rice by the lowest bidder.

Of course, not every hardware is suitable for coreboot, so you'll have
to buy anyways. Personally, I can recommend the AMD boards without a
PSP hardware backdoor: Lenovo G505S laptop with A10-5750M, ASUS
A88XM-E desktop with A10-6700 / A10-6800K, and ASUS AM1I-A mini-ITX
micro-desktop with Athlon 5370 - which may be a close match for your
single-board-computer requirement (it has LPT, COM, etc.)

More information can be found on the Internet (i.e. the manuals on
DangerousPrototypes website), or you can just ask me.