Hi mart, Eric and all.
Sharing more details, thanks for all these ideas.
Because there is no direct inclusive tool for me with the combination of adaptive technology I use in Linux, I ssh telnet from my DOS computer into shellworld using the recently updated sshdos program. Further, I use ssh from within shellworld itself to reach the dreamhost workspaces that they provide curtain up distribution INC. For the record, dreamhost does not really support the programs they provide on their hosting shells, they simply put them there. Shellworld, on the other hand, has a vested interest in inclusion, so incorporates more of a blending, Ubuntu mixed with other tools, some of which like e-links are compiled with a bit more graphics, same for Links, and Lynx..the latter has a keystroke that can submit JavaScript only buttons for example.
In sum, here, not all the text tools are strictly text so to speak.
now for my gmail needs.
mart, my karen.lewel...@gmail.com address not only existed for several professional services, it provided an inclusive way for me to manage files, safely communicate on lists, even serve on organization boards. I have contacts there, files there, data there that losing would be hard to articulate for me personally. What that means in terms of mail forwarding is that, for this email, that door would not be enough.
I have a second email account, lewellen...@gmail.com
That I lost basic html access too after a library visit.
That account has been forwarding to my personal website email, but because I do not actually see all the email there, like what google may decide is spam, nor have access to the full inbox, allot of research has been lost.
I do not want to suffer that again.
if I am forthright, I am unsure I have the emotional bondage to deal with that loss just now. While I agree with Eric that graphical might not be the solution, I add the qualifier that it depends on how that tool is constructed. I use graphical DOS software all the time, wordperfect for example, which presents stuff to my adaptive tools that lets me read them.
I may download this package and see if it can speak.
 especially if that gives me what I require here.
command line does not automatically equal text, or non graphical as it were.
So, to sum
1. My requirements are a tool that once configured gives me full access to my gmail information, inbox, sent mail, contacts and the like. If I am importing that to another service, that is fine, so long as that provider gives me a tool that blends well with my combination of adaptive tools. If not, then I will still need, at least for a while, to send email using my gmail address, its not just about reading things, its about well established interactions, personal legal, and professional.
We do have mutt, pine, and alpine here at shellworld.
using them for this goal would depend on
1, if mutt once configured will present my gmail contents in full the way pine and alpine can, and 2, if I can configure alpine or pine here for gmail, instead of just setting up a forward..mutt as well I suppose. Personally, I do not care for alpine, but that is due to the mayhem using it via dreamhost has been for years, everything from my inbox closing..all the time, to lost emails, and timeout errors.
Anyway, based on these details,  what should be my best next step?
I may need to locate, possibly compensate someone to do the configuring, I am no programmer to be sure.
With appreciation,
Kare