Thanks to jerome I believe the issue was tryin to install over the old copy
since i fprmated the drive before the install this time and it worked.  I
probably should have tried that before sendin out the long message.  My
gremlin there.

I cannot use vbox since my pc cannot run it, unless there is an xp
version.  I prefer connectix virtual pc in xp and have the option to share
files between xp and the virtual machine.

Thanls to everyone for their replies and assistance.  Great community.