On 02/26/2018 10:32 AM, Petr Vobornik wrote:
> Hi thanks for the feedback, comments inline
>
> On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 8:59 AM, Standa Laznicka <slazn...@redhat.com> wrote:
>> On 02/23/2018 05:26 PM, Robbie Harwood via FreeIPA-devel wrote:
>>
>> Petr Vobornik via FreeIPA-devel <freeipa-devel@lists.fedorahosted.org>
>> writes:
>>
>> Felipe made nightly testing working as PRs in freeipa main Git Hub
>> repo.
>>
>> Is there really not a better way to do this than spamming freeipa-devel
>> with two more PRs every day?
> I guess it can be optimized a bit so that notification mails are a bit
> more useful. I agree that notification mails about opening and closing
> PR don't bring any added value. Maybe it can be suppressed in
> https://github.com/freeipa/freeipa-tools/tree/master/github-email-notifications
>
> On the other hand, what is desired is to show results of nightly
> testing to project maintainers and contributors. Because tests are
> useful only if their results are visible and it drives actions.
> Therefore I find beneficial to send a mail with test failures. This is
> not working yet. A possible technical solution might be to create a
> task depending on all other tasks which would get the results and
> would create a comment with them thus creating a notification mail.
>

>> +1, it messes up the PR queue, too, either make it use the same PR or use
>> another repo. The current state is unbearable.
> I don't see a benefit in moving it to other repo. It would lose the
> visibility and therefore would become half-useless.
I doubt the number of people who actually looked at the logs of failing
tests exceeds 2. From a user perspective, the results are just hard to
view and understand because the UI of a github PR is not supposed to be
used to view results of a great number of complicated integration tests.

> Reusing PRs could be a way to limit some noise. But if I'm correct old
> prs are shown back in the queue.  IMO the goal here should be to show
> nightly testing on a first PR page. One way is to have fewer PRs ;).
> Other optimization could be e.g. to have weekly nightly prs - meaning
> one PR would be updated 5-7 times.
Sounds definitely better than what we have now, although it removes the
possibility too view history.

> IMO it is also useless to run nightly testing over weekend as no one
> is currently pushing any patches during the time.  So I'd test on
> Friday evening and then on a Monday evening.
>
> Could you describe in more details what you mean by "messes up the PR
> queue" or "unbearable?
Of course - unbearable = people don't want to deal with their mailboxes
being spammed; messes up the PR queue = creates unnecessary
pull requests (keeping in mind that the value of a PR is in new code).
> These are quite hard words but their meaning is
> not specific.Could be interpreted in many ways. It's good to express
> feeling but it is hard to grasp. What is the effect it creates from
> your perspective?
^-

>> Travis has cronjob support; wouldn't this be a better fit there?  Why
>> does it need to be a PR?
> PR is a way how to show results and coordinate test runners.  The
> testing infra used for it doesn't currently work without PR.  How it
> works now: https://github.com/freeipa/freeipa-pr-ci/tree/master/doc I
> have no idea how travis cron jobs work. But if it uses Travis infra
> then it is a no-go as Travis cannot handle our load.
>

>> I second the opinion that github PR is just a bad place to place nightly CI
>> run results to and it already shows.
> Could you explain what you mean by "it already shows"?
^- and also -v

--
Standa Láznička
A Red Hat person