On 11/17/2010 06:37 PM, Endi Sukma Dewata wrote:
> On 11/17/2010 5:24 PM, Endi Sukma Dewata wrote:
>> Will the user need to be aware of this issue? In other words, will the
>> UI enforce the user to split a schedule that crosses midnight manually?
>>
>> If yes, there are some issues:
>>
>> 1. Some schedules that have to be split because of local time zone can
>> actually be merged in UTC. In that case do we want to merge it or keep
>> them separate? For example:
>> - Original: 2100-0159 local (UTC-3)
>> - Entered in UI: 2100-2359 and 0000-0159 local
>> - Stored on server:
>> a) keep the split schedules: 0000-0259 and 0300-0459 UTC
>> b) merge it: 0000-0359 UTC
>>
>> 2. Some schedules that have to be split because of local time zone may
>> need to be split differently in UTC. Will this confuse users? For
>> example:
>> - Original: 2100-0159 local (UTC-2)
>> - Entered in UI: 2100-2359 and 0000-0159 local
>> - Stored on server:
>> a) split the first part: 2300-2359, 0000-0159, and 0200-0359 UTC
>> b) merge if possible: 2300-2359 and 0000-0359 UTC
>>
>> Alternatively, the splitting issue can be hidden by the UI, but UI and
>> CLI will be inconsistent.
>>

> Also, when viewing an existing schedule, the UTC schedule may not fit
> the UI for the local time zone, requiring a split too.

The intent from a user interface perspective (Web UI or CLI) was that we
would allow the user to specify the start time, a duration and a
repetition, and that internally we would convert that into the format
described above.

Of course, the UI->accessTime conversion is easy. It might be tricky to
do the reverse when reading it back to the user. I'm open to suggestions
on how to handle this.

- --
Stephen Gallagher
RHCE 804006346421761