On 11/18/2010 07:09 AM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

On 11/17/2010 04:51 PM, Adam Young wrote:
On 11/17/2010 04:31 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 16:07:24 -0500
Stephen Gallagher<sgall...@redhat.com>   wrote:

This will require two changes to the HBAC schema. First of all, we
plan to drop the week-of-the-month concept entirely and replace it
with septet-of-the-month. This is being done to eliminate the
ambiguity entirely. Secondly, we will need to describe
day-of-the-septet in the grammar (where the day of the septet
describes the name of the weekday, and not its numerical position
within the septet, as that would be a useless and complex duplication
of the day-of-the-month concept).

I think we can keep using 1-7 in the septet with the
understanding that 1 is always Monday, 2 is always Tuesday and so on.

Simo.

I'd like to propose that we have a goal to be as close to the Cron
grammar as practicable. So we should allow 0 or 7 for Sunday. This is in
keeping with your proposal.

Here are the examples from the crontab 5 manpage;

# run five minutes after midnight, every day
5 0 * * * $HOME/bin/daily.job>>  $HOME/tmp/out 2>&1
# run at 2:15pm on the first of every month -- output mailed to paul
15 14 1 * * $HOME/bin/monthly
# run at 10 pm on weekdays, annoy Joe
0 22 * * 1-5 mail -s "It’s 10pm" joe%Joe,%%Where are your kids?%
23 0-23/2 * * * echo "run 23 minutes after midn, 2am, 4am ..., everyday"
5 4 * * sun echo "run at 5 after 4 every sunday"

I'm not sure that 'First Wednesday of the month' is possible with this
grammar, either. Yet, somehow, it has survived many years.

0 8 1-7 * 3   (read, 08:00 on the Wednesday that falls between the 1st
and 7th day of the 6th month)
Yep: except you meant every month.

 field      allowed values
              -----          --------------
              minute         0-59
              hour           0-23
              day of month   1-31
              month          1-12 (or names, see below)
              day of week    0-7 (0 or 7 is Sun, or use names)

OK.  So  we add a duration to this grammar, declare victory and go home.

I propose adding a hyphen and then duration in days:hours:minutes

0 8 1-7 * 3 : 0:0:30   #from 8 - 8:30

0 8 1-7 * 3 : 0:2:0 #from 8 - 10:

0 8 1-7 * 3 : 2:0:0   #For 48 hours

- -- Stephen Gallagher