Rob Crittenden wrote:
Attached is a rough cut of a patch to try to speed up the cli a little
bit. Basically in production mode it will skip some things during
initialization.

My concept is that we develop in mode != production and release in mode
== production.

I managed to knock a second or so off time to do a user-show on average.

There may be some other things we can do to speed things up, I'm still
looking. Some feedback on the approach would be appreciated.

Note that I've completely ruled out SSL/Negotiate. I did my testing on
lite-server which doesn't use SSL or Negotiate and it was STILL taking
on average 3-4+ seconds per command. The server side was consistently
taking < 1 second to complete.

rob

oh, and the patch.

I ran a couple of moderate tests this evening that executed 42 separate operations like add, delete, and managing group membership. I ran this 10 times each on 2 identical VMs, one with a bit older code and one with this patch then averaged the times.

With the patch the average was 1.3 seconds per operation, without 2.6. A 50% improvement is more than I expected, I saw a 33% improvement on individual runs. I'll keep at it but this seems promising. I was also a bit surprised that the average time without the patch was so low, I was expecting something over 3 seconds.

Specifically what this patch does is it avoids doing some self-validation. There is some amount of risk that the framework could blow up but in a deployed situation I think the risk is rather low.

A side-effect of the API tester makeapi is that it loads the framework. We can force it to be run in production mode so the product shouldn't be buildable if it has inconsistencies.