On 04/13/2011 04:26 PM, Dmitri Pal wrote:
On 04/13/2011 04:23 PM, JR Aquino wrote:
On Apr 13, 2011, at 1:00 PM, Dmitri Pal wrote:

On 04/13/2011 11:34 AM, Adam Young wrote:
The FreeIPA.org Landing page needs a better description of the
project.  Can anyone suggest a One-Three line description that orients
people to FreeIPA, assuming they know little/nothing about the
project?  Exl;ainig that it integrates Kerbers an LDAp is the second
step, but it really is an implementation detail.

I typacilly tell people that we do for Linux systems what Active
Directory does for Windows systems.  This explanation works for people
familiar with AD, and then we can talk about how IPA is built on open
source code and open standards.

The closest we have4 right now is

"FreeIPA is an integrated security information management solution
..."  this is a good start, but is a little generic.

I'll throw this out as a strawman:

FreeIPA is a centralized management solution for Users and Computers.
Built on Open Standards and open source software, IPA allows you to
securely  establish policy for access to the resources in your
organization.

FreeIPA is a centralized identity management and authentication solution
built on open standards leveraging proven technologies. It is a
authentication and identity hub with focus towards the needs of the
Linux/Unix clients.
FreeIPA is a scalable centralized identity management framework.
It is built on open standards that provide authentication and authorization
with a focus towards the needs of the Linux/Unix clients .

I suspect term "Identity management Framework" might be too general to orient people not already thinking "Users and Computers"

The term Scalable is an unnecessary buzzword.  Can we cut it down to this?

"FreeIPA is a centralized authentication and authorization management framework, built on open standards, with a focus towards the needs of Linux and Unix clients."

Bingo!

---
Scalable authorization is a big one that has yet to be properly solved in the
Linux Community for a central directory.
It should be captured in our description.

I challenge you to come up with a better one.

Thank you,
Dmitri Pal

Sr. Engineering Manager IPA project,
Red Hat Inc.