On 11/18/2011 03:04 AM, Martin Kosek wrote:
Ok, these are all valid arguments. I know that abusing "logging" is not
right, I was just afraid that diverging master branch from our 2.x
branch that much would do more harm (and extra effort whenever a patch
from master is backported to 2.x branch) that misusing the "logging"
name. I would like some second opinion on that before we make the call.

I think having root_logger exported to our tools and calling
root_logger.warning(...) etc. looks better than the previous version
(log_mgr.root_logger.warning()).

I'm happy to change

log_mgr.root_logger.warning()

root_logger.warning()

and I think it's a good suggestion, thank you.

I'll do that and try to figure why there seems to be a rebase issue at the same time.

FWIW, we use the root_logger in a lot of places where a dedicated logger would make more sense. For example the install-xxx tool should probably be using a logger named "install-xxx" instead of the unnamed anonymous root logger, but that's a change for another day. It would also clean the excessive use of the root logger. In other words inside install-xxx it would do:

logger = log_mgr.get_logger('install-xxx')
logger.warning()

or if was a class instance:

log_manager.get_logger(self, True)
self.warning()