Martin Kosek wrote:
On Tue, 2012-01-31 at 15:38 +0100, Martin Kosek wrote:
On Mon, 2012-01-30 at 11:22 -0500, Rob Crittenden wrote:
Martin Kosek wrote:
An example of the improved help:

# ipa help user-add
Purpose: Add a new user.
Usage: ipa [global-options] user-add LOGIN [options]

Positional arguments:
LOGIN: User login

    -h, --help         show this help message and exit
    --first=STR        First name
    --last=STR         Last name
    --cn=STR           Full name

We may want to improve help for most arguments we use. Most of them are
missing. In this patch I updated just the CRITERIA argument that was
complained about in the relevant BZ.

Martin

Patch looks ok, I just think the output could be improved.

I think it should look similar to the existing usage output, so, similar
indention and description columns lined up:

Usage: ipa [global-options] user-add LOGIN [options]

Positional arguments:
    LOGIN              User login

    -h, --help         show this help message and exit

rob

I agree. I refactored the patch to integrate better with OptionParser
and rather provide a support of argument help directly instead of
misusing description field.

New patch adds a formatter capable of formatting arguments consistently
with options format (as you proposed).

Martin

Rob had a good point that the last patch did not indent arguments in the
same way as options are indented. Attached patch should make it
consistent.

This is how dnsrecord-add help now looks like:

# ipa help dnsrecord-add
Purpose: Add new DNS resource record.
Usage: ipa [global-options] dnsrecord-add DNSZONE NAME [options]

Positional arguments:
   DNSZONE               Zone name
   NAME                  Record name

   -h, --help            show this help message and exit
   --ttl=INT             Time to live

Martin

ACK