Petr Viktorin wrote:
On 06/12/2012 02:38 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
On Tue, 2012-06-12 at 13:12 +0200, Petr Viktorin wrote:
This will make older clients usable if new output items get added to
commands.

Since there might be important information in the extra output, it's not
ignored as the ticket asks. Instead it's printed, but not formatted
nicely as the client doesn't have enough info for that.

Patch is missing.

Simo.

My apologies

I'd replace the print_line with print_indented so the output looks a little nicer.

This sure does make an impression. It looks something like this (with print_indented):

$ ipa user-show admin
  User login: admin
  Last name: Administrator
  Home directory: /home/admin
  Login shell: /bin/bash
  UID: 1872200000
  GID: 1872200000
  Account disabled: False
  Password: True
  Member of groups: admins, trust admins
  Kerberos keys available: True
------------------------------
Unexpected output from server:
------------------------------
  new: new

It's hard to argue with this as being descriptive it just seems a bit overbearing.

I have a couple of ideas on this.

1. We could detect and supress unexpected output by default and include a note at the end, something like:

Unexpected output suppressed, use --all to show.

2. Replace the print_dashed with print_line and embed a \n in the value so it would look like:

$ ipa user-show admin
  User login: admin
  Last name: Administrator
  Home directory: /home/admin
  Login shell: /bin/bash
  UID: 1872200000
  GID: 1872200000
  Account disabled: False
  Password: True
  Member of groups: admins, trust admins
  Kerberos keys available: True

Unexpected output from server:
  new: new

I think we'll need to document this somewhere in any case, explaining how this situation can happen. I think it could be very confusing.

Functionally it works pretty well.