On 06/19/2012 08:30 AM, Martin Kosek wrote:
On Mon, 2012-06-18 at 11:37 -0400, Rob Crittenden wrote:
Martin Kosek wrote:
On Fri, 2012-06-15 at 10:15 -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
On Fri, 2012-06-15 at 15:22 +0200, Martin Kosek wrote:
Hello all,

In a scope of ticket 2511 I would like to implement an ability to
delegate a DNS update permissions to chosen user (or host) without
having to give the user full "Update DNS Entries" privileges, i.e. allow
him to modify any DNS zone or record.

So far, this is what I would like to do (comments welcome):

1) Create new objectclass "idnsManagedZone" with "managedBy" attribute
in MAY list
2) Create new DNS commands:
    a] dnszone-add-managedby [--users=USERS] [--hosts=HOSTS]
    b] dnszone-remove-managedby [--users=USERS] [--hosts=HOSTS]
    - these commands would add/remove chosen user/host DN to managedBy
attribute in chosen DNS zone
3) Add new generic ACIs to cn=dns,$SUFFIX:
aci: (target = "ldap:///idnsname=*,cn=dns,$SUFFIX";)(version 3.0;acl
"Users and hosts can add DNS entries";allow (add) userattr =
"parent[1].managedby#USERDN";)
... add similar ACIs for UPDATE, REMOVE access

With these steps done, all that an administrator would need to do to
delegate a management of a DNS zone "example.com" is to run this
command:
$ ipa dnszone-add-managedby example.com --users=fbar

The only downside I found so far is that the user would already need to
have "Read DNS Entries" permission assigned, otherwise he would not be
able to actually read DNS entries (allow rules can't take precedence
over deny rule we implemented to deny public access to DNS tree).

An admin could of course create a special privilege and role with just
"Read DNS Entries" permission and then assign it to relevant
users/groups, but this looks awkward. Any idea to make this simpler?
Maybe creating a group "dns readers" by default which would allow such
access?

Change the deny rule to deny to everyone except the user in
"parent[1].managedby#USERDN" ?

Simo.

Good idea, I will do that. I will just use
"parent[0,1].managedby#USERDN" so that user can also read the zone
record. This way, a selected user will have read/write access to the
chosen zone only, which is exactly what we want to achieve.

Yes, this sounds workable to me too.

rob

Ok, thank you both. I finished the patch, it should work fine for both
new installs and upgrades.

After the upgrade, all you have to do to delegate read/write privileges
to the zone is this command:

# ipa dnszone-add-managedby example.com --users=fbar

fbar then will be able to actually see the zone with dnszone-show +
modify it. Delegated permissions have several limitations though:
1) Delegated user cannot delete the zone
2) Delegated user cannot add or remove another users to the managedBy
list

Martin

Would it be possible to delegate the rights to groups, not only to individual users?

--
PetrĀ³