On 11/15/2013 05:43 PM, Petr Viktorin wrote:
On 11/15/2013 03:28 PM, Petr Vobornik wrote:
On 11/15/2013 02:40 PM, Petr Viktorin wrote:
On 11/15/2013 02:26 PM, Petr Vobornik wrote:
Hello list,

this is a first part of RCUE adoption effort. Main themes of this patch
set are:

- use RCUE navigation <https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/3902>
- new styles for textboxes, textareas, radio/checkbox buttons and
buttons- part of <https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/3904>
- new internal form layout (tables replaced by divs)
- layout does not have fixed size
<https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/3435>
- new dialog styles + removed dependency on jQuery UI dialog
- icons replaced by Font Awesome glyphs

Example is at: <http://pvoborni.fedorapeople.org/rcue/>

Some reasonings and additional info:

1. RCUE includes Bootstrap which defines o lot of styles for a lot of
things. That messed up the UI and therefore I did the form changes now.

2. jQuery UI is pretty big lib and we used it only for dialog and
buttons. Buttons were replaced by RCUE buttons so removal of dialog
dependency was a obvious step to get rid of the whole lib. The lib is
removed from main UI but is still present in separate pages - will be
removed later.

3. Dojo and jQuery were upgraded to latest
versions.<https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/2811>

This approach was ACKed by Kyle from a design perspective with a note
that we will review and fixed some styling after second phase. We
should
not release until then.

The second phase, which I'm working on right now, will consist of:
  * login screen <https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/3903>
  * new styles for standalone pages
  * necessary responsive enhancement (the ultimate future goal is
responsive layout)

It's quite a lot of patches so I did not attach them here. You can see
the code in my private repo:
<git://fedorapeople.org/~pvoborni/freeipa.git> branch 'rcue'.

Wow. Do we really need all these third-party fonts and styles in our
repo?

It's common in Web development to offer all versions and let the browser
to choose one.

Since FreeIPA Web UI supports IE9+ we can safely reduce the font files
only to .woff fonts <http://caniuse.com/woff>. We can also discard all
Italic fonts (not used atm).

Fedora 20 has a new feature called Web Assets
<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Web_Assets> which should solve
such bundles. I'm not convinced that it's in usable state atm.

That doesn't answer the question of why we need third-party compiled
assets in the repo.

Fedora spec files can also have multiple Sources, if we need to bundle
for distribution.

I worry that it will be just source of build errors and such. For example I would like to have access to the files during development without running rpm build or using crystal ball to figure out what is needed and where to get it.

Now I would suggest to use Bower <http://bower.io/> to solve it, but it requires Node.js so I won't do that.

Here is some information about possible sources. Does it look usable to you in any way?

1. Open Sans
- hard to find usable source, they should be in googlefontdirectory <http://code.google.com/p/googlefontdirectory/> but that's 2.5GB+ Mercuial repo... - some unofficial source (can be used by Bower): <https://github.com/FontFaceKit/open-sans> It has a bit different font-face declaration which would require additional changes

2. Overpass
- official distribution [1] contains only .ttf fonts
- .woff version is in git repo <https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/overpass-fonts.git>

3. Font Awesome
- provides tarball <http://fontawesome.io/assets/font-awesome-4.0.3.zip>
- should not be a problem if I don't count .less files which required some changes because lesscpy could not process them

Fedora doesn't have any standalone .woff font packaged.

[1] <https://fedorahosted.org/releases/o/v/overpass-fonts/Overpass-Fonts-1.01.tar.gz>

--
Petr Vobornik