Petr Spacek wrote:
On 24.1.2014 18:46, Dmitri Pal wrote:
On 01/24/2014 10:39 AM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
Martin Kosek wrote:
When working on release, this question comes to my mind every time -
what is
the following page good for? :)

http://www.freeipa.org/page/Changelog

To me, it is usually just an annoyance of the release process. You
can simply
get all the data with "git log" derivatives, so I do not see a point of
maintaining this page.

I see benefits of having shortlog in Release pages like [1], but not
with this
one. I am thus proposing to deprecate it.

[1] http://www.freeipa.org/page/Releases/3.3.3

Thanks.

I used to just cherry-pick the big things then figured that some
people care about everything so switched to that instead. Yes, the
data is in git, but if one doesn't know git well then it can be hard
to tell where something was fixed.

I won't yell if it's dropped, but it's just a cut-n-paste after all.

It is internet search-able and can be easily pointed to in different
follow up materials.
I would rather keep it, but a wiki formatting script might be a good
idea.

Our git repo has nice and responsive web interface:
https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/freeipa.git/

The advantage is that you can read full commit messages so you can see
links to tickets in Trac which are not present in shortlog.

Given that I think that Changelog wiki page is mostly annoyance, it
could simply redirect to repo web interface (may be to listings for
specific branches).

It is useful because you can more easily see what made it into the particular dot release rather than finding the patch you want then knowing to search backwards for the Become xx.yy commit. I saw it as a poor-man's way of finding changes.

It gets updated 3 or 4 times a year, so it is hardly a burden.

It is certainly duplicated information and I won't fight any further for it.