On 1.12.2015 09:33, Petr Spacek wrote:
On 26.11.2015 09:01, Jan Cholasta wrote:
On 11.11.2015 15:27, Petr Spacek wrote:
On 11.11.2015 09:36, Martin Babinsky wrote:
On 11/11/2015 09:32 AM, Jan Cholasta wrote:
On 11.11.2015 09:27, Martin Babinsky wrote:
On 11/11/2015 08:12 AM, Jan Cholasta wrote:
On 10.11.2015 16:58, Petr Spacek wrote:
Hello,

Patch 64:
ipa-dns-install offer IP addresses from resolv.conf as default
forwarders

In non-interactive more option --auto-forwarders can be used to do the
same. --forward option can be used to supply additional IP addresses.

IMO it's perverse to add option which effectively means "use default
value" instead of actually using the value as default. This is
inconsistent with every other option and I don't see what makes
forwarders so special to require this.

NACK unless you have a strong justification for this.

Motivation:
/etc/resolv.conf holds nearest DNS servers. On the other hand, you want to
have backup forwarder which may not be local but could work even if local ones
fail.

Option --default-forwarders reads list of "local" servers from resolv.conf and
--forwarder option allows you to add additional IP addresses to it.

So your Ansible script can contain call like:
ipa-server-install --setup-dns --default-forwarder
--forwarder=<company-wide-fallback>
and you do not need to worry about mapping sites to nearest servers etc.

Is it possible to use default_getter decorator to fetch defaults for the
'forwarders' knob from the resolver if it is avaliable like so (warning:
untested and possibly wrong)?

Yes, this is exactly how it should be used (although the exception
handling could be better).

That was just a quick example off the top of my head without much thought
going into it.

Anyway, when running in interactive mode the installer can inform the user
that he found these forwarders as defaults and prompt whether they shoud be
used.

After discussion in person we decided to not use default_getter decorator
because that would change current behavior in an unexpected way.

Original option --auto-forwarders was renamed to --default-forwarders because
it sounds nicer :-D

Turns out I misunderstood the intent here and after another discussion in
person we decided to go with the --auto-forwarders option.

ACK on the original patch.

Petr, could you please rebase patch 65 on top of current master?

Sure. I'm sorry for the delay!

Thank you, ACK.

Pushed to master: 8f5f0d6edd25d2ca747c0477366fb392a26390f2

--
Jan Cholasta