On 26.4.2016 12:28, Jan Cholasta wrote:
> Hi,
>
> see <http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Thin_Client> for initial design of the
> Thin client feature. The API compatibility part of the design is work in
> progress (by me), as is the client side caching part (by David).
>
> Big thanks to David for actually writing most of the text in the design page.
>
> Comments and suggestions are welcome.

In general it is good.

I have two questions:
1) Caching
> IPA client can cache downloaded metadata to reduce traffic and reduce start
> up time. IPA client can send metadata fingerprint with request. When newer
> metadata are available server must add warning to the response.

Shouldn't it be an hard error when client sends old metadata? I do not like
the warning because when you receive a warning it is too late to cancel the
command.

2) Client/server side plugins.
I expect that some very special features (like client-side OTP provisioning)
might depend particular version/range of version on the client.

Will the metadata include version range which can be checked on client side to
make sure that everything is compatible (for given command/plugin)?

Other than that it seems reasonable. I'm looking forward to see more details!

--
Petr^2 Spacek